Sunday, November 1, 2009

Why we hate ER

I took myself and my sweet baby to the ER this afternoon because I just had this fear that we had the swine flu. After 6 1/2 hours in the ER we were released. They took both our blood and ran a strep test on me as well. Our flu test came back negative! No flu here. So, the body aches and head being totally congested and all the sneezing, runny nose is a upper respiratory infection and viral. While in the ER, we waited 3 hours to get called back, then over an hour for the doctor to come in. In the process of waiting I decided I would curl up on the ER bed with my little guy since it was past his bedtime at this point anyway. Kaden was almost asleep and I started sneezing and had to have a tissue. I got up into sitting position off the edge of the bed and reached over to the chair for the box of Kleenex. In that 2 second time frame Kaden rolled off the bed HEAD first onto the concrete floor. He immediately screamed bloody murder and I want running with him into the hallway to tell the nurse (how embarrassing that I had let my baby roll of the hospital bed in the ER!) I felt/feel so bad tonight that I guess I really never though he would do that that quick. A nice goose egg popped up and she brought me an ice pack for his head. So we then got moved to the top of the list and got seen next because he hurt his head. They x-rayed his head b/c the cat scan machine was broken. They think he is fine, I am supposed to wake him every two hours tonight though and check on him. I FEEL AWFUL that I let this happen. Poor Baby, his heart was broken, he cryed, and I cryed with him. Anyway, we are home and K is in bed and I am now off to join him. LONG NIGHT!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Oh my goodness Kelly! I am so sorry ya'll had such a bad day/night. Dr. Pflieger asks us every time we go in if Hayden has fallen off the bed yet. I guess it happens often. We always say "No", but he always says "It will happen". I can't imagine how awful you felt. They are so fast! Hope ya'll are feeling better today and get some rest!

The Bradley Clan said...

Don't beat yourself up about it! It really has happened to everyone. Nicolas pulled Sophia head-first off the couch when she was just a couple of months old. I remember watching in slow-motion as she stayed on her head for what seemed like minutes at the time! Then there was the time Sophia was standing in the stroller in The Gap and fell out head-first onto the hard-wood floors. (Come to think of it, how in the world has she made it this far?!) Just rememeber that a goose-egg is actually a good thing--the pressure is outside rather than inside the head! Hope you guys are feeling better soon!!