That's right issues! I am adamant about breastfeeding my baby, and that I have done now for one month on Monday. I have thought until this week that Kaden was getting plenty to eat, and the only issues were with me. (Soreness that is so intense I scream and kick when he latches on, I literally feel like he is sucking on clear blisters the whole time he nurses and it hurts so bad that sometimes I don't even want to nurse him, even though I do!, engorgement that has me pumping and feeding, and clogged milk duct problems already.) In the last few days Kaden's insistence to eat has gotten worse, he's hungry every two hours and doesn't seem to ever get full or satisfied. So, after battling with myself about feeling like a horrible mother if I supplement formula to see if that helps him feel fuller or not, and a great deal of research, I have started giving little Mr. PIG a bottle! I have given him 2 ozs. of formula eat morning and night for two days, it seems to really help him and he'll sleep for 4 hours after eating on the breast and having a 2oz. bottle. So, I feel like he is not getting enough milk from me, he's not necessarily a pig. I am still at this point breastfeeding the same as normal, and just adding the two bottles per day, however, I am thinking of giving him more formula and starting the process of weaning him from breast milk. I know, I know, those of you who have had "WONDERFUL" experiences breastfeeding are SCREAMING right now, but it has been the HARDEST thing I have ever done. It is extremely painful and not getting better after a month and Kaden isn't getting enough on top of that. I feel like I honestly gave this my all, I gave him a full month of breast milk, which is more than most moms these days even attempt, and I don't understand why I feel So guilty about thinking of not breastfeeding anymore. I know I will feel better, in return helping me get better adjusted to motherhood and back to everyday life.
OMG! You should have seen the kid SUCK DOWN that first formula bottle. 2 ozs. in less than 3 minutes, he gulped it, literally! I felt so bad, like he was STARVING! The problem with introducing a bottle also is that he doesn't have to suck to get the milk out like the breast and now he is becoming even lazier about breast feeding. This issue is up for discussion, so fire away breast feeding mommies!!!
***I have had people comment on my using Lanolin for my nipples to make breastfeeding less painful. I've used it EVRY time I have feed since day 1, like 12 times a day, my nipples are not dry, cracked or anything like that and they still hurt, like BLISTERS!!! So, thanks for the advice, but I am doing that already!
Also, Kaden has been having a hard time breathing, especially at night. He sounds like he has drainage that causes him to choke/gag/attempt to cough. Only tonight has it escalated to the point of him throwing up after breast feeding from getting choked. It scared me! It scares me! I don't know if it is drainage/allergy issues or what??? Does anyone have any help with this? And, of course tomorrow is Saturday so I can't call the doctor.
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Breastfeeding issues...
Posted by Kelly at 12:08 AM
Labels: breastfeeding
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hi - I found your blog thru reading someone elses blog. Congratulations on your beautiful baby. I have nursed 3 children and I understand the pain involved. Cocoa butter cream helped me. It came in a stick lick chapstick, just a little bigger and it does not hurt the baby. After nursing I would put it on and it helped heal me so that i could keep nursing. You as a mom have to make the decision that is right for you, so don't feel guilty if you cannot continue. one of my friends tried the cream but then wiped it off before they nursed. i never did and my kids were fine. It does not harm the baby. Try it to see if it will help heal you and once you heal, it will no longer hurt when you nurse. Your baby may also be going thru a growing spurt. When my first born was 6 weeks old he nursed every two hours for 2 weeks. I felt trapped, but it got better. he is now almost 14 and they grow up so fast!!! Hang in there, the Lord will give you wisdom in what to do and you keep your confidence in Him. Your a good mom!
Karyn
Hi,
I found your blog thru "Bring the Rain" blog. I have been praying for your family for a few weeks. I stopped breastfeeding my daughter who is now 19 at after just a days old because off issues (I didn't have support people around me). Ten years later when my son was born I was determined to breastfed. My son was born with heart defects and so he had issues gaining weight. I was told by La Leche League leader to nurse every hour and a half...from the start of one session to the start of the next....so if he nursed for 45 minutes then I had 45 minutes to do something else. I know it feels like you are getting nothing else done right now but remember this won't last forever. When they are growing they tend to nurse more...remember this is for a season...I know it feels like this season won't end but before you know it they will be 9(my son is 9). I highly suggest to you that you call a la leache league leader in your area IMMEDIATELY and/or a breast feeding consultant either at your hospital or in your community. There are vitamins that you can take that will increase your milke supply too if that is the problem.
Please, I hope this post does not feel like I am attacking you...that is not at all what I am meaning to do. I only wanting to help....I gave up with my daughter and wished someone would have come along side of me...it took me 10 years to get pregnant again....and I was so determined that time to make it work....I just want to encourage you....obviously you can do whatever you want to..it is your life and your family. I will be praying for you. Trudy
Ok honey here goes from the self proclaimed breast feeding champion.(both of mine nursed till almost two)Dylan had a very hard time learning to nurse because of being so early, so I had to call in the pros. Some of the ideas sound crazy but will really work..first to ease the soreness, put used warm tea bags on your breasts. The tannic acid will help heal the blisters. The blisters may actually be caused by him not completely latching on. Make sure as much of the areola is in his mouth as possible. While he is nursing, put warm washcloths on your breasts. This will let the milk come down. If you are engorged, you have more than enough milk for him, it just needs to let down. When you are sore and tense up when he latches on, the milk doesn't always let down immdeiately. Warm rags will help. (So will a little glass of wine as long as it is a good couple of hours before he nurses :) Whatever you decide though, be fine with. My opinion would be to give him a few more weeks though to get through flu and RSV season better. You can also try feeding him right after a bath or shower and the milk will flow down easier because you are relaxed. I remember thinking nothing hurt worse than when they latched on and I was in that much pain. Call me if you need any more of my advice..as I am full of it :) Love yall so much and still can't wait to hold that little dude.
Kristi
I agree wholeheartedly about breast feeding being the hardest part... I would rather give birth again than deal with the frustrations of b/f for a year. My daughter is almost 11 months and I feel like I'm about to be paroled! It's such an incredible commitment.
And OH how I recall that toe curling pain!!! I don't think mine lasted quite that long, so I understand your frustrations. I was wondering, if you are pumping in addition to feeding him, couldn't you feed him the breast milk that you pumped too? When I started pumping it really relieved me to see that there was plenty of milk there. That is definitely such a hard thing, as a first time mom (at least it was for me.)
Also - I wanted to share something that my midwife told me that I never read (or maybe I just didn't understand)... Not only does much of the areola need to be in his mouth, but his lips need to be flanged too. Think of sucking your lips in and around your teeth. You want his lips to look the exact opposite of that. The outside of his lips need to be completely flared out and only the inside of his mouth should be latched on. I hope that makes sense. When I could see that my daughters lips weren't positioned right, it hurt a lot more. Mind you, it hurt no matter what - but if you can perfect the latch - I think it will eventually get better. I've heard it said that if the latch is right there will be no pain. I think that is false. Like everything baby related, EVERYONE is different.
You should do whatever gives you the most peace. There are huge benefits to doing it both ways. I hope things get better soon. I will add this to my list of prayers. I'm continuing to cover your family.
Oh - also I heard somewhere that you can put a phone book under the crib mattress to help with drainage. I never tried it, so I can't say one way or the other if it works, but it might be worth trying.
Hey, Kelly. There are several things I would suggest. For the drainage, try rolling up a baby blanket and putting it under one side of the crib mattress to make an incline. Think of how much easier it is to breathe at night when you have a cold if you have an extra pillow under your head. As for breastfeeding, you have to do what's right for you, and no one should judge you for it. I certainly won't judge you! But I will tell you my experiences in case they will help. Nicolas nursed ALL the time. He nursed every 2 to 2 1/2 hours, and it would take him 45 minutes to an hour each time, so you can see how much time I spent nursing him in those early months. (That's also why we ended up with a family bed!) If Kaden is nursing more than usual right now, he's probably going through a little growth spurt, and the nursing will slow down to normal in a few days to a week. I know it's been a month, so you feel like the pain should be gone, but that is still early. Also, feel free to drink a beer. Beer is good for helping with milk let-down. I would sometimes start drinking a beer while I was nursing, or just after, so that most of the alcohol would be gone by the next feeding. It will also help you relax...and maybe help Kaden sleep a little better! ;) Good luck with whatever you decide.
Post a Comment