Sunday, August 22, 2010

My classroom BEFORE and AFTER

The first day of the school year went over as a success! I always wonder the night after each new school year begins WHY I worried so? I guess some things just never change, even though this is my fifth year to teach, I have now had five years in a row to perform the first day of school 'SPILL' with my kids. Maybe one of these years I'll get comfortable enough and prepared enough to not feel nervous before the first day of school. We'll see!
When I got hired for this Agriculture Science teaching position, I knew that the classroom and facilities where in bad shape. I had so much excitement though that I saw past this into the possibilities of what I could do with the place. I immediately started envisioning what it would be like when I did this or that. I still have a LONG way to go, but here are some BEFORE Mrs. Mabe pictures...

Photobucket

It was a pretty sad looking place, dirty, old, dingy, smelly, etc.....


Photobucket

After a fresh coat of paint, new white boards, waxed floors, lots of dusting and cleaning, and lots of air freshener this is what it looks like...


Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Check out my table covers! My step-mom, Cay, made these for me. Thank you Cay!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is the greenhouse before...

Photobucket

Photobucket


Things were pretty bad out there. We got a water, electric, and gas line put in. We got all the scrap metal and junk moved from in front of it, weeds pulled, ground tilled and leveled, and the ground cover put down.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I still have a long way to go on the greenhouse. The next step is to get the ends closed in, there will be a door in each end. Also, we have to get a shade cloth over it before I can go pick up the plants. It is a work in progress, but I am VERY excited about it!
It's hard to believe after five years of waiting I have my dream job! Life is so much more rewarding and enjoyable when you love what you do. I am so thankful for this opportunity.

And, it all started my freshman year in high school, when I got inspired by this little organization....
Photobucket

I just hope to one day inspire one student the way I was inspired...

"All things work together for good to them that love God." Romans 8:28

2 comments:

Megan said...

I have chills!! LOVE IT!! What a transformation!! My heart is so full of joy for you!!!

Amy said...

Kelly that is AWESOME!! Your classroom and the green house look great. Good Luck and have fun!