Saturday, February 28, 2009

Acts 5 Study

I read Acts 5 a couple weeks before Kaden arrived and studied about the many lessons to be learned from the early followers of Christ. It was such a neat reminder to me that I have decided to do a small review again today on my reflections from reading Acts 5.
I made a short list of things I can apply to my life (or my church life) from the early followers of Christ. Here goes:
-Honesty in the church.
-We should be attracted to the church because we are believers seeking other believers for a support base, not because of programs or facilities.
-Faith in God doesn't mean that troubles disappear; it makes troubles appear less frightening because it puts them in the right perspective. (This keeps coming back to me over and over with the recent tragedies in my family)
-Don't expect everyone to react favorably when you share something as dynamic as your faith in Christ. Some will be jealous, afraid, or threatened. Expect some negative reactions, and remember that you must be more concerned about serving God than about the reactions of people. (See Acts 5:29)
-Persecution is a BLESSING! We know Jesus suffered, so praise God that he allows you to be persecuted like our Lord. If you are mocked or persecuted for your faith, it isn't because your doing something wrong, but because God has counted you "worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name." (Acts 5:41)
-Here is a great scripture to go along with this study: "When we are convinced of the truth of Christs' resurrection and have experienced the presence and power of his Holy Spirit, we can have confidence to speak out for Christ." (Luke 6:22)

This is a POWERFUL challenge for us as Christians to teach and proclaim the good news that Jesus is the Christ even when we face obstacles. (Such as persecution for our belief) Thank goodness though we aren't persecuted the way the early followers of Christ were, we are persecuted with words and actions that can be as painful as physical wounds. Isn't it hard to tell someone about Jesus sometimes? I know I fear SCARING people away, or making them upset, so a lot of times I just let them know that I am praying for their struggle and that I love them very much. Then, in time I share my belief and reliance on Christ through tough situations.

Here's a prayer:

Lord,
I am not sure I could have rejoiced as the apostles did after they were persecuted and then asked not to speak again in the name of Jesus. It challenges me that they were rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for your name. Not only did they rejoice, they courageously continued to proclaim your name daily in the temple courts and from house to house. They could not be stopped. This gives me courage to teach and proclaim the good news that Jesus is the Christ even when I face obstacles. I want my lips to praise you as long as I live. Amen.

0 comments: