Friday, October 3, 2008

High Blood Pressure?

Yikes! My first official pregnancy scare came yesterday morning. I had taught two class periods standing up, talking, when 3rd period came I got really out of breath, which has been normal lately, and thought I probably just needed to chill for a minute and breath. Then, as I was giving the class instructions to get them started working, so I could sit and breath for a moment, I got HOT faced, blurred vision, and felt like I would pass out soon. So, I headed across the hall to tell Heather that I didn't feel right and that I thought I needed to just sit down for a while. She was concerned when she saw me because my face was red! So, she suggested we go to the nurse and have them take my blood pressure. Sure enough, when we got over there, my blood pressure was 154/90. Which is very abnormal for me, I always have extremely LOW blood pressure. So, the nurse held me there for half and hour. She suggested I go home, however, they wouldn't allow me to drive so other faculty had to drive me home for the day. Luckily, I had a doctor's appointment yesterday afternoon already scheduled. So, I rested at home until my appointment and my mother in law drove me to that appointment. My blood pressure was normal at the dr.'s office, 120/80. So, he pretty well suggested that I try not to worry about it, hopefully, it was just a one time thing, or something that happens occassionally. They did all my blood work, which the results will be back today, I also got a flu shot while there, and got to hear baby boy pounding away in my belly! I had however gained over 6-7 pounds THIS week, mostly in fluid, my hands and ankles are swelled. He said that isn't normal at this point in pregnancy, only mild foot swelling should be experienced right now. So, we are watching that, and hoping my body will adjust/regulate itself to all the added weight and stess really soon. I have gained SO much weight this week, it is unbelievable! And, over 10 pounds since my dr. visit 4 weeks ago. I'm now at the 160 mark! YIKES! My next appointment is October 31, and we get a sonogram! YEAH!!!! My M-I-L joked at the doctor's office that I could go to that appointment dressed as a pumpkin! LOL!

1 comments:

Sarah said...

Yikes! Sorry about your scare! Sounds like the opposite of mine (low blood pressure). I hope that it doesn't happen again to you!